"I was told I have a good voice."
So? So what? Not being mean but....well........ SO?
A good voice does not a good voice actor make.
The first step to becoming a successful voiceover artist is being teachable, and learning.
So...are you teachable and ready to learn? Then let us proceed. I am confident that the following revelation may surprise you: I do not have all the answers. Yes, I know you are shocked. I understand. Even my wife wears her "I don't need Google; my husband knows everything" T-Shirt.
Surprised? I am not. There are tons of people out there with incredibly valuable information, insight and experience to offer (and it goes without saying that there are some that you should avoid like the plague).
Here are some excellent links to knowing more about becoming a voiceover artist. If you are just starting out, I highly suggest you check out these resources. Or, if you have become a bit rusty, then perhaps it's time to return to the essentials.
A career in voiceovers is awesomeness unmatched. Enjoy it, and may you be successful.
Did I miss a reputable source here? (Hint: the answer is 'yes'). If so, comment below with your suggested link and source!
I Want To Be a Voice Actor - Dee Bradley Baker
Voice Over Career Questions and Considerations - a HUGE resource by Sean Daeley
How do I get started in Voiceovers? - Joshua Alexander
4-Step Formula for Success in Voiceovers - VoiceOverXtra
How To Become A Voice Actor - Gravy for the Brain
Nancy Cartwright teaches Voice Acting - Nancy Cartwright
Learn Voiceover without a Coach - Carrie Olsen
Get Started In VO - In Both Ears
Are you ready for a Voiceover Career? - Debbie Grattan
How to start a career in Voice Acting - VO Planet
A Complete Guide To Getting Started In Voiceovers - The VoiceOver Network
Voice-Over Startup Guide - Chris Agos
Why You Should Never Become a Voice Over - Paul Strikwerda
What is Voice Acting? - Voice Actor Websites
Everything You Need To Know About Voiceover - Marc Graue
Making Money in Your PJ’s by Paul Strikwerda
Running a Successful Voiceover Business by Joshua Alexander
Voice-Over Voice Actor by Yuri Lowenthal & Tara Platt
There's Money Where Your Mouth Is by Elaine Clark
More Than Just A Voice by Dave Courvoisier
VO Studio Companion: The Home Voiceover Recording Instruction Manual by Emmett Andrews
Voiceover Achiever by Celia Siegel
V-Oh! by Marc Cashman
How to Set Up and Maintain a BETTER Voiceover Business by Gabrielle Nistico
The Art of Voice Acting by James Alburger
Voice-Over 101: How to Succeed as a Voice Actor by Debi Derryberry
How to start and build a 6-Figure Voiceover Business by Bill DeWees
Voice Over Startup Guide by Chris Agos
Voice Over Man by Peter Dickson
Voiceover Achiever by Celia Siegel
Getting Started in Voice Over by Gary Mason
You are welcome. You have thirty minutes to read all of the above links and books in their entirety. Aaaaaand go!
I am joking. Go forth and conquer, and by all means take it slow! This is a marathon, not a sprint.
Oh! By the way? You have a good voice. And that is all you need anymore.
I will see myself out.
Final Bullet Points:
- Like this blog? My children are counting on you to put bread on our table through the purchase of one of my books. By the way, low-guilt-trip sales pushes are my specialty
- NOTE: This blog is purely for commentary / educational / entertainment purposes. I make no money from these blogs; though I do not refuse large cash gifts if it means I can pretend I am a church
- Check out my whole UNIVERSE of blogs right HERE!
- This is a fourth bullet point.
AND HEY! WAIT JUST A S.E.C.!
- S-UBSCRIBE & S-HARE!: If you enjoyed this blog, please consider subscribing and sharing with friends and family, and encouraging them to subscribe and share. Offer treats for doing so.
- E-NCOURAGE: Go encourage someone else today with a single, simple sentence of affirmation. Tell them, “I like your earrings”, unless of course they are manly men, in which case you should compliment them on the size of their chainsaw.
- C-OMMENT: I want to hear from you. Please feel free to comment below! Comments with lots of “You’re wonderful” or “You’re the best” will receive instant approval and acclaim.
Seattle Voice Actor & Voiceover Artist for hire